Real Audio on F12

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Mon Dec 14 15:06:22 UTC 2009

On Mon, 2009-12-14 at 13:47 +0000, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
> The -playlist option made it work.

Sometimes needed for .ram files, as they're often a playlist or referrer
of some time.  Not always needed, as some .ram files are the media,
itself.  And I've noticed mplayer *sometimes* not care when you you put
-playlist in where it shouldn't be.

> OT: in the interests of having a more user-friendly experience, such
> as fast-forward etc., I also tried with gmplayer (also with
> -playlist). It started playing OK but on hitting the fast-forward
> control the UI just froze and had to be "kill -9"'ed. gmplayer seems
> to be someone's idea of a joke, which is a pity as mplayer is
> otherwise very capable.

gmplayer never was very good for me.  It liked to crash, a lot.  I found
smplayer to be much better.  And there's another front end that I can't
remember the name of.  gmplayer is a recompiled mplayer, that behaves
differently, as *well* as having a GUI.

Some streams just are not seekable, and you'll find trying to seek being
ignored, or wedging the player, sometimes quite hard.  For playing back
an already downloaded stream that won't seek, you can add the -idx
command option, and mplayer will assess the whole file (taking a bit of
time), then fake up an index that it can use to seek.

--
[tim at localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.27.25-78.2.56.fc9.i686

read messages from the public lists.