Real Audio on F12

Marko Vojinovic vvmarko at gmail.com
Mon Dec 14 21:30:00 UTC 2009

On Monday 14 December 2009 19:46:29 Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
> On Mon, 2009-12-14 at 17:41 +0000, Marko Vojinovic wrote:
> > On Monday 14 December 2009 16:59:06 Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
> > > Following on from that, do you know of a way to capture the stream
> > > using mplayer (or anything else for that matter)? RFM I guess, but the
> > > FM is rather long and complex :-)
> >
> > mplayer -ao pcm:fast,file=givemeaname.wav -playlist
> > http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/history/inourtime/rams/inourtime_20081009.ram
> >
> > Note that this should be one line, it might get word-wrapped.
>
> It says to use "-vc null -vo null" for better performance when dumping.

This makes sense if the stream has both audio and video, and you wish to
capture only the audio part. Then you instruct mplayer to push all video
output to /dev/null instead to the display, and this increases overall
performance because there is no video overhead.

However, this particular stream is audio only, so the -vc and -vo options have
no effect anyway.

Best, :-)
Marko