Help: No internet connection

Simon Schneebeli simon.schneebeli at okko.org
Mon Dec 14 22:48:59 UTC 2009

> >As for wicd: I used that when working with Ubuntu and was always quite
> happy. So let's give it a try:
> <snip>
> >My, my. What a headache. These thing make me feel kind of lost...
> >Simon
>
> Yes. It is actually simpler to download the 2 packages from
> wicd.sourceforge.net, and make && make install. That avoids the sort
> of conflicts you got.
>
> Please post 'ifconfig wlan0'. Use system-config-network to configure
> the wireless interface. If you get wicd installed, then do a
> 'chkconfig wicd on' and 'service wicd start', then use the desktop
> icon for wicd-client, and configure the wireless card there too.
> It usually helps to start by turning OFF all wireless security on the
> router and on the laptop, while you get the rest of it working, then
> add MAC filtering and WPA keys etc. last.
>
> Sounds like you are actually quite close. Once wired is working, the
> universe of points of screwup gets a lot smaller!
>
> Geoff

My! I sure feel like if I'm doing something wrong:

[root at sangam wicd-1.6.2.2]# python setup.py install
Using init file ('/etc/rc.d/init.d/', 'init/redhat/wicd')
Using pid path wicd.pid
Language support for es_CL es_NI zh_TW no sr nl el es_ES ml uk vi he fi
nl_NL ca pt eu eo ka de_DE fr it ko zh_HK lv es bg gl ru_RU fa sk es_VE
de ro da pt_BR fr_CA et kk sl es_AR cs lt ja ru sv hu te ar_EG zh_CN id
tr es_MX pl it_IT es_GT
running install
error: invalid Python installation: unable to open
/usr/lib/python2.6/config/Makefile (No such file or directory)
[root at sangam wicd-1.6.2.2]#