F10 rpm of grub2 completely broken

Michael Schwendt mschwendt at gmail.com
Tue Dec 15 09:29:39 UTC 2009

On Mon, 14 Dec 2009 17:15:13 -0500, Gene wrote:

> On Monday 14 December 2009, Michael Schwendt wrote:
> >On Mon, 14 Dec 2009 14:29:21 -0500, Gene wrote:
> >> Your F10 grub2 is broken beyond repair also, and I needed it to work so I
> >> could try some other distro's that do use grub2 to boot with.
> >
> >You couldn't chainload those other dists with legacy GRUB?
> >
> Not if the boot partition is on an ext4 filesystem.

Nonsense.

When chainloading, the the filesystem on the target boot partition is
irrelevant.

I can ensure you that Fedora 10's GRUB is capable of chainloading
a different distribution's boot loader even if that dist is installed
on ext4.

> I experimented with it
> pointed at an ext3 filesystem and it worked as expected.

Then you've done something wrong as in the examples in your recent
thread. Chainloading is between boot loaders in boot sectors.