Reading Pictures off of SD card Problem

Max Pyziur pyz at brama.com
Tue Dec 15 23:52:49 UTC 2009

> On 12/15/2009 01:18 PM, Tod Merley wrote:
>> On Tue, Dec 15, 2009 at 9:46 AM, Jim <mickeyboa at sbcglobal.net> wrote:
>>> FC11/KDE
>>>
>>> Attempting to read Pictures on mounted SD card.
>>>
>>> If i tell it to use DigiKam it will read the card and display pictures.
>>>
>>> If I tell it to use Filemanager it will open the wine.cfg window, there
>>> are
>>> no wine
>>> apps on SD card , just pictures.
>>>
>>> I uninstalled wine, but no help, If I tell it to use Filemanager it
>>> still
>>> looking for
>>> wine.cfg.
>>>

>> Hi Jim!
>>
>> If I were you I would open a shell, obtain root privilege, use mount
>> to see where the SD card is mounted, navigate to that point and use ls
>> -a -l to poke around and see what is up.

I had a similar problem and the only success that I had was to go into
shell and su to root and do the same.

> No need to become root. The card should be mounted with permissions
> that let the console user access it. At least it is in Gnome. I can
> normally just double-click on the icon and have it open the SD card.
> I have also used mc from a terminal window to access the files on
> the card.

If you encounter similar errors to those of Jim's, what are the
alternatives? Are there config files to edit? Is there some configuration
setting in the Gnome menus that can be set?

I have a MicroSD card from my phone; I use a USB reader that is recognized
as an unrecognized (this was typed intentionally) digital camera by
gphoto.

How can I get it to be recognized as justa mounted filesystem?

Oddly, this problem occurs on my F12 x86_64 desktop, but not my Dell 600m
Inspiron.

Thanks!

Max Pyziur
pyz at brama.com