Fedora wifi: Specifying 2.4 or 5.8 GHz

John W. Linville linville at redhat.com
Wed Dec 16 15:37:59 UTC 2009

On Thu, Dec 17, 2009 at 02:03:54AM +1030, Tim wrote:
> On Wed, 2009-12-16 at 09:27 -0500, John W. Linville wrote:
> > I'm sorry, but I don't think there is a very "user friendly" way to
> > do what you want other than using different SSIDs.
>
> Sounds like something NetworkManager should be doing by itself:  When
> supplied with two like-named SSIDs, pick the one with the highest data
> rate and signal strength.  And, I supposed, there'd need to be a bit of
> fuzzy logic to arbitrate when the faster one is a bit weaker than the
> slower one.

I imagine it does that.  But since .11a and .11g can both go to 54Mbps
and since in this case the transmitters are likely to have essentially
identical power, placement, and environment conditions...

AIUI, the question wasn't whether or not NM can pick a working network.
It was how to _force_ it to pick the .11a network.

John
--
John W. Linville		Linux should be at the core
linville at redhat.com			of your literate lifestyle.