Fedora wifi: Specifying 2.4 or 5.8 GHz

Dan Irwin rummymobile at gmail.com
Wed Dec 16 22:49:46 UTC 2009

On Thu, Dec 17, 2009 at 12:27 AM, John W. Linville <linville at redhat.com>wrote:

> I'm sorry, but I don't think there is a very "user friendly" way to
> do what you want other than using different SSIDs.

I suspected this could be the case.

Are there no hidden knobs in NetworkManager (via gconf) which could be
tweaked?

On second thought, using a separate SSID for 5.8GHz wont help, because the
5.8GHz radio does 802.11a and 802.11n. The 2.4GHz radio does b, g, and n. I
imagine there is no way to force either 802.11a or 802.11n.

Perhaps I should file a bug against NetworkManager regarding all this.