Installing a new BIOS on a Dell Computer

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Thu Dec 17 17:57:48 UTC 2009

On Thursday 17 December 2009, Aaron Konstam wrote:
>On Wed, 2009-12-16 at 21:00 -0500, Gene Heskett wrote:
>> On Wednesday 16 December 2009, Aaron Konstam wrote:
>> >The last time I installed a new BIOS on a Dell Computer I used a floppy
>> >disk. That is no longer an option. Could anyone explain how I can
>> >accomplish this? Please be as detailed as you can describing the
>> >procedure.
>>
>> Most bios these days are equipt to do that themselves from one of the
>> more right hand option menu's.  I have updated the bios on this asus
>> motherboard several times now, by putting the new bios file on a usbkey &
>> plugging it in.
>>
>> It will muddle along looking the system over for a while but its never
>> failed to find it.  It is also capable of saving the old bios back to
>> that same key before you install the new one too.
>
>I don't understand you procedure. The BIOS file I downloaded is an .EXE
>file. When I put on a usb drive and i insert it. It just sits there. If
>I try to execute it it says it is looking for a zip file and can't find
>it. What am I missing? What right hand menus are you talking about

Do a cold start and repeatedly hit the del key (or whatever it shows as the
magic key on the bottom of the screen as it completes the P.O.S.T. procedure)
to get into the motherboards bios.  At least the del key is the trigger for
the bios on my motherboard.  This will take you into the bios configuration
for your motherboard.  On my box, right arrow to highlight the next to last
entry & hit enter.  There should be an option to self-update the bios there.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)

Why don't you ever enter any CONTESTS, Marvin??  Don't you know your
own ZIPCODE?