Always need authentication to print?

Aaron Konstam akonstam at sbcglobal.net
Thu Dec 17 20:04:11 UTC 2009

On Thu, 2009-12-17 at 08:09 -0800, Alan Evans wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 16, 2009 at 4:34 PM, Aaron Konstam <akonstam at sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> > In that screen in system-config-printer did you fill in the:
> > user-name and passwd boxes. Evidently that is sometimes needed,, and
> > filling those boxes should solve your problem.
>
> I never knew that there were user-name and passwd boxes. They
> certainly weren't easy to find. Had to click on the "Change..." button
> next to the "Device URI" entry. (Which doesn't make any intuitive
> sense to me since I can just change the URI in the entry directly.)
> Then I had to enter the root password *twice* before it would draw the
> resulting dialog. Then I changed the radio selection to "Set
> authentication details now" and entered the printer's Username and
> Password into the entries and clicked "Apply". Then I was prompted for
> the root password *again*.
>
> So now I'm back at the Printer Properties dialog. I click the "Print
> Test Page" button and "Printer State" changes to "Idle - Tree connect
> failed (NT_STATUS_ACCESS_DENIED)", which I interpret as some kind of
> error. However, the printer spits out a test page!
>
> But alas, still no joy in the non-test-page world. Every time I print,
> the system asks for the printer's Username and Password.

This is question for Tim Waugh who designed system-config-printer.
When I did it I interpreted the Username and Passwwd boxes to refer to
values on the Win XP machine .. I did not enter root even once into the
user box and you should not either unless you are trying to run
system-config-printer as yourself . not as root.

I would address the question to Tim since he reads this list or file a
Bugzilla explaining the problem since he works for redhat he should pick
it up there.
A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject.
-- Winston Churchill
Aaron Konstam telephone: (210) 656-0355 e-mail: akonstam at sbcglobal.net