[OT] LCD Display and earthquakes .....

Robert G. (Doc) Savage dsavage at peaknet.net
Sun Dec 20 06:15:48 UTC 2009

On Sun, 2009-12-20 at 09:48 +0800, Ed Greshko wrote:
> This is OT...but wonder if anyone has experienced or see this before.
>
> My older Samsung SyncMaster 172t is hooked to a system I use mainly for
> running SlingPlayer.  Part of the upper left quadrant had what could be
> called a smear patter or smudge pattern.  It isn't from any type of burn
> in.  But looked like what you see if you run fingers around on the
> screen...only "permanent".  It had been like this for a long time.
>
> Anyway, I didn't have the monitor turned on last night when Taiwan was
> hit by a 6.8 earthquake.  It registered a 4.3 in Taipei and other than
> drawers opening and the TV rolling away we had no damage.  But, when I
> turned the monitor on this AM the smear pattern was gone.
>
> So, a shake-table is a good repair tool?  :-)

Useful for marguerita lovers who need to multitask...

About your monitor, I suspect what the earthquake might have done is
flex some bit of hardware just right and cause it to rub through some
micro-corrosion on an internal signal lead. You know, the same mechanism
attributed to those "reseated connector" miracle repairs? I've seen some
odd hardware behavior changes when a system is taken apart, moved, and
reassembled. You wouldn't expect it to happen, but every once in a while
it definitely DOES happen.

Buy a lottery ticket!

--Doc