Saving Tbird e-mail files? -

Bob Goodwin bobgoodwin at wildblue.net
Mon Dec 21 00:26:06 UTC 2009

On 20/12/09 12:55, Mail Lists wrote:

>    o Using gmail - with imap - leaves the mail on gmail server.
>            gmail with pop - removes the mail from gmail and stores
> wherever you told your mail client to store it - once you've done this -
> unless you store it on your own imap server then no other client will be
> able to see that pop mail.
>
>    o so you should leave gmail accounts all set to imap - unless you want
> to pull the mail off gmail and store it.
>

>    o your dovecot server is just like any other mail server - just set up
> a new IMAP account - use IP or (or hostname if your computers can see
> the host name).
>

>   o each mail client you set up should have
>
>       gmail imap
>       your own imap
>
> as accounts.
>
> Then to move or copy mail just use mouse to drag or copy message(s) from
> gmail to your own imap account.

    Ok, I'm still digesting all of this and imap is becoming useable on
    this F-12 computer. I think I will switch the other one over too and
    see if I can get along with imap for a while. Don't know what
    Thunderbird is doing but sometimes it takes a long time to display a
    message and that can be maddening? Something to do with imap.

    And each time I select a directory the cursor runs that blue swirl
    for at least ten seconds, don't know what that means?

    Also I am trying to delete some of the many directories that were
    created initially, some like "spam" can't be deleted though. I have
    the mail filters putting stuff where I want it now.

    I usually keep all my mail sorted into directories and threaded and
    I'm finally getting that under control. The system is usable as it
    is, I don't know about some of the delays I'm seeing ... Anyway I've
    come this far and intend to give it a try. Making the dovecot server
    work will have to wait but I will get that under control also in time.

    Thanks for your patience and help.

    Bob