Tar oddity...

Chris racerx at makeworld.com
Mon Dec 21 00:44:16 UTC 2009

On Mon, 21 Dec 2009 00:45:13 +0100
Roberto Ragusa <mail at robertoragusa.it> wrote:

> DB wrote:
> > The reason I went with  tar tvh was (to try) to check the contents
> > of the file after "open with ark" in Dollphin spat out the errors.
> > I guess that actually trying to extract the files when the table of
> > contents fails would not be any more successful?
>
> Run
>
>   md5sum F11_Home_Dave_20091217.tar.gz
>
> on both machines.
> If you get two different results, something bad is happening.

I agree with the above! I take it one step beyond that. During my
nightly backups, I have it create the hash for all my tarballs.
Pretty simple to do. As an example:

if you have backup /home/you, /etc and /root to tarballs:

home.you.tar.gz
etc.tar.gz
root.tar.gz

Doing something like md5sum *.gz > checksum.md5 will create and store
the hash info in the file, checksum.md5

Then to verify, md5sum -c checksum.md5
If all goes well,  you'll see something like:

home.you.tar.gz OK
etc.tar.gz OK
root.tar.gz OK

Of course, you probably knew all this anyways.

--
Best regards,

Chris

“It is always better to have no ideas than false ones; to believe
nothing, than to believe what is wrong.”

           -- Thomas Jefferson