Where is WM Player Plug-in (Omega has it)

Marcel Rieux m.z.rieux at gmail.com
Mon Dec 21 03:37:10 UTC 2009

On Sun, Dec 20, 2009 at 10:07 PM, Ed Greshko

> In your original post you gave 2 URL's
>
> http://www.cbc.ca/video/#/Shows
>
> and
>
> http://www.radio-canada.ca/emissions/decouverte/2009-2010/archivage.asp
>
> The first link leads to videos that are flash.  However, they are not
> directly played by the flash plugin.  There is a wrapper around it
> called "v4.1.0.local 2009-09-03 7:59 PM" which appears not compatible
> with linux.  I cannot play them and I don't have Omega to determine if
> it can.

Omega can't play them either. As I can play Flash videos anywhere in
the world... if the tv broadcaster allows them to go outside the
county and unless a special home made plug-in is requested such as at
ABC.

Do you have any idea can possibly be the use of such a wrapper, except
to prevent Linux from reading the videos?

> The second link contains several other links...which was referenced in
> Frank Murphy's response...and to which I replied.  Therefore, all of my
> comments were based on Frank's response and dealt only with the second
> link.  Those links are not being played by a flash player...but by
> gecko-mediaplayer.

If tou go to Prefrences Applications, you see gecko-mediaplayer listed
for asf, asx and Windows Media??? I doubt it.

> FWIW, I don't have totem installed on my Fedora system.  And, if you
> look you'd find that gecko-mediaplayer is "mplayer" with a new name.

"Gecko Media Player is a browser plugin that uses GNOME MPlayer to
play media in a browser."

http://kdekorte.googlepages.com/gecko-mediaplayer

But, in the Preferences, Applications options, you sometimes have
mplayer, sometimes Gecko Media Player and sometimes GNOME Media
Player. If this is all the same, it's rather confusing. There's also a
MozPlugger option.