F12 NFS Failures

John Austin ja at jaa.org.uk
Mon Dec 21 11:46:42 UTC 2009

On Mon, 2009-12-21 at 00:39 -0800, Gordon Messmer wrote:
> On 11/24/2009 04:21 AM, John Austin wrote:
> >
> > Just tested my machine with UDP and TCP
> > This was using md5sum for about 10GB over the NFS mount
> >
> > 1. The default for F12/Centos5.4 appears to be TCP - which freezes
> > 2. Forcing UDP gives NO errors for 10GB transfer
> > 3. Forcing TCP gives a freeze
> >

> I know this is an old thread, but I thought I'd toss in that you will
> see symptoms very much like this if only one of your machines (probably
> the NFS server) is configured to use jumbo frames.  You should check the
> MTU on the server and client.

Thanks for the idea
I have checked the host and the server, both are set to MTU of 1500

I then checked the switch (Netgear GS108T) this had jumbo frames enabled
Disabled jumbo frames - no change
Updated switch firmware - still no change

Problem still present with all F12 kernel versions (sky2 drivers) to
date

I have taken sky2 driver from latest stable kernel and tried to compile
under F12 but failed!

As I have a work around with 2nd NIC I have been lazy !!
Next move probably a custom kernel

John