Google Earth locks up system

Steven Stern subscribed-lists at sterndata.com
Mon Dec 21 15:53:45 UTC 2009

Since I'm not sure when, Google Earth completely locks up my system,
requiring a power cycle to restart.  I see the splash screen, the it
starts to display a tip-of-the-day, then plonk. System locked.

I have an old ATI card

01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc RV370 5B60
[Radeon X300 (PCIE)]
01:00.1 Display controller: ATI Technologies Inc RV370 [Radeon X300SE]

using the standard radeon driver.

There are no messages regarding the crash/lock in /var/log/messages. The
crash does not seem to be related to compiz.

--

  Steve