8 GB Flash drive formatted at 3.7 GB

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Tue Dec 22 01:43:18 UTC 2009

On Mon, 2009-12-21 at 15:29 -0600, Mikkel wrote:
> My experience with ZIP disks was that if they came formatted, or if
> you used the Omega formatting tools, they always had one partition.
> What partition was an indication of what system they were formatted
> for. Windows was partition 4, Linux was partition 1, and I don't
> remember what MAC used. (It might not have used a DOS-type partition
> table.)

Pre-formatted Mac Zip discs had the Mac filing system on them.  But I
rarely saw them on sale, so users probably bought Windows preformatted
ones, and went with it, or reformatted them.

I imagine using partition 4 was so that it wasn't a primary partition,
and would get a drive letter after your existing primary partitions, so
not to shuffle important drive letters about.  Gawd, but I'm so glad I
don't have to deal with that crap ever again, though Linux's drive
renumbering is almost as bad.  At least it's only a one-time set-up
problem, not an ongoing problem - once mounted on the tree, applications
don't care what the drive actually is.  Compared to Windows, where it
can be a right pain to have to deal with a drive being E today, F
tomorrow, E later on...

> I also remember removable platter SCSI drives that pre-dated ZIP
> drives, but I can not remember what they were called. The didn't have
> nearly as much capacity, and the cartridges were larger. I think I
> still have a couple in storage somewhere...

And do you still have punch cards being used as bookmarks?  ;-)  I found
a few more of mine earlier this year.  Haven't managed to find a
pristine one, though.  Hmm, maybe I should get some calling cards made
up that have that design to them.

--
[tim at localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.27.25-78.2.56.fc9.i686