OT: howto change Firefox's default print options

Rick Stevens ricks at nerd.com
Tue Dec 22 22:31:31 UTC 2009

On 12/22/2009 01:42 PM, Mike Wright wrote:
> Rick Stevens wrote:
>> On 12/22/2009 11:32 AM, Mike Wright wrote:
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> I need help with the default printing options in Firefox. It has a very
>>> annoying "feature" when trying to print: it insists on providing me with
>>> preselected headers and footers.
>>>
>> I believe the things you're looking for are in about:config. Look
>> for "print.printer_(printer_name).(attribute). The attributes are:
>>
>> print_footercenter
>> print_footerleft
>> print_footerright
>> print_headercenter
>> print_headerleft
>> print_headerright
>>

> Thanks, Rick.
>
> Those are the ones I mucked with. No cigar though. Any changes made
> there cause the status to change temporarily from default to
> user_defined. After printing the current document they revert back to
> default.
>
> It appears that there is no way to modify the default behavior and that
> the only way to get rid of that idiocy is to compile the browser
> oneself? IMO it makes a lot more sense from a usability perspective to
> click once to enable something desired than to have to click seven times
> to disable something undesired.
>
> I always felt that Mozilla/Firefox was the standard to which others
> should aspire but I fear that I may be seeing signs of pig lipstick...

Try editing the ~/.mozilla/firefox/blah.default/prefs.js script and put
in your own stuff.  That should make it stick.
-      "Microsoft is a cross between The Borg and the Ferengi.       -
-  Unfortunately they use Borg to do their marketing and Ferengi to  -
-               do their programming."  -- Simon Slavin              -