OT: howto change Firefox's default print options

Robert G. (Doc) Savage dsavage at peaknet.net
Tue Dec 22 23:10:32 UTC 2009

On Tue, 2009-12-22 at 13:42 -0800, Mike Wright wrote:

> Rick Stevens wrote:
> > On 12/22/2009 11:32 AM, Mike Wright wrote:
> >> Hi all,
> >>
> >> I need help with the default printing options in Firefox. It has a very
> >> annoying "feature" when trying to print: it insists on providing me with
> >> preselected headers and footers.
> >>
> > I believe the things you're looking for are in about:config.  Look
> > for "print.printer_(printer_name).(attribute).  The attributes are:
> >
> >     print_footercenter
> >     print_footerleft
> >     print_footerright
> >     print_headercenter
> >     print_headerleft
> >     print_headerright
> >

> Thanks, Rick.
>
> Those are the ones I mucked with.  No cigar though.  Any changes made
> there cause the status to change temporarily from default to
> user_defined.  After printing the current document they revert back to
> default.
>
> It appears that there is no way to modify the default behavior and that
> the only way to get rid of that idiocy is to compile the browser
> oneself?  IMO it makes a lot more sense from a usability perspective to
> click once to enable something desired than to have to click seven times
> to disable something undesired.
>
> I always felt that Mozilla/Firefox was the standard to which others
> should aspire but I fear that I may be seeing signs of pig lipstick...

Mike,

You've probably tried this, but just in case you haven't... :-)

File -> Print... -> Options tab -> Header and Footer

There are two rows of three pull-down option menu boxes that correspond
to the six about:config options you already found. You can set any or
all to --blank--. Any changes you make should be written to the
~/.mozilla/firefox/<random>.default/prefs.js file when you exit Firefox.
It should be owned by <you>.<you> and its access permissions should be
755.

HTH
--Doc Savage
  Fairview Heights, IL