Booting Fedora-12 from hard disk, again, again

jackson byers byersjab at gmail.com
Wed Dec 23 18:45:10 UTC 2009

>>> http://docs.fedoraproject.org/install-guide/f12/en-US/html/s1-
begininstall-hd-x86.html
>>> for details).
>>
>> Agreed, and that is the best reference

>I was looking again at this reference,
>and I really don't think it is very good,
>or likely to be helpful to someone trying to boot from hard disk.

That reference is(was) particularly important for showing explicitly
that you need the leading slash {"/") for the directory.
The leading slash needed starting in F10,
prior to F10  no leading slash, which caused much confusion
when attempting hdinstall starting from F10 (see bugzilla ref below).

>In the first place, I would have thought that almost anyone doing this
>would want to (or need to) avoid CDs or DVDs altogether,
>by abstracting vmlinuz, initrd.img and the images directory
>from the ISO file,
>and adding a stanza to grub.conf to boot from these.

>There are no instructions for doing this, as far as I can see.

Well, you seem to have figured it out, congrats!
May I ask, just where did you find the instructions re install.img,?

I myself depended heavily on the references following;
not much on the fedora site

hdinstall was thoroughly discussed in these 3 refs:

1)
fedora-list nov 2008 * F10 HD install - anyone successfully done this?
        From: Mike Cloaked  and response by Tom Horsley

2}
Bug 473351 - F10 HD install using the DVD iso file, initiated from grub, fails

http://www.nabble.com/F10-HD-install---anyone-successfully-done-this--tp20740373p20741211.html

and a more recent thread:
4)fedora-list Jul 2009
Mail Lists <lists at sapience.com>
Re: Installing F11 from local hard drive

cheers,
Jack