8 GB Flash drive formatted at 3.7 GB

jdow jdow at earthlink.net
Fri Dec 25 23:22:52 UTC 2009

From: "Steven Ringwald" <ringwald at gmail.com>
Sent: Monday, 2009/December/21 18:02

> On Mon, 2009-12-21 at 15:29 -0600, Mikkel wrote:
>> My experience with ZIP disks was that if they came formatted, or if
>> you used the Omega formatting tools, they always had one partition.
>> What partition was an indication of what system they were formatted
>> for. Windows was partition 4, Linux was partition 1, and I don't
>> remember what MAC used. (It might not have used a DOS-type partition
>> table.)
>
>> I also remember removable platter SCSI drives that pre-dated ZIP
>> drives, but I can not remember what they were called. The didn't have
>> nearly as much capacity, and the cartridges were larger. I think I
>> still have a couple in storage somewhere...
>

>> I believe you are talking about the IoMega Jaz drive...
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iomega_Jaz
>
> Steve

My faves from my Amiga days was the 3.5" Fujitsu Magneto Optical beasties.
They were hard sectored at 2048 bytes per sector for the large capacity
disks.

I had to hack the kernel some years ago to enable it to read these disks
(and the AmigaDOS AFS or SFS partitioning.)

Those babies were far nicer than any of the IOmega "stuff". (Yeah, we
have one of those around, too. For some of them we need a BeOs filesystem
to read them. <sigh> And, yes, we still have live Amigas and live BeBoxen
around here.)

{^_^}