md raid 5 not working

Roberto Ragusa mail at robertoragusa.it
Sat Dec 26 22:38:35 UTC 2009

Kanwar Ranbir Sandhu wrote:
> /dev/sdb:
>    0     0       8       16        0      active sync   /dev/sdb
>    1     1       0        0        1      faulty removed
>    2     2       8       64        2      active sync   /dev/sde
>          Events : 13144

> /dev/sdd:
>    0     0       8       16        0      active sync   /dev/sdb
>    1     1       8       48        1      active sync   /dev/sdd
>    2     2       8       64        2      active sync   /dev/sde
>          Events : 11958

> /dev/sde:
>    0     0       0        0        0      removed
>    1     1       0        0        1      faulty removed
>    2     2       8       64        2      active sync   /dev/sde
>          Events : 13146

Your three disks have three different ideas about the state
of the RAID array.

The events counters are probably saying that:
- sdd was removed from the array at 11958 (faulty!)
- sdb was removed from the array at 13144
- we are now at 13146

I think you should try to assemble the array in degraded mode
with only sdb and sde, which have almost the same age; sdd
is probably stale and should be readded in a second moment
(assuming the disk is really working).

I'm not sure about what options are needed to assemble in
a degraded mode by choosing only sdb and sde, so I will
avoid giving you a bad advice which could destroy your data. :-)

You may retry the rescue CD; is the array started in degraded
mode? If so, you can try to readd the missing disk and let it sync.
Maybe everything is clean on next boot.

But be careful.
As soon as an array is reassembled, run a read-only fsck
to be sure you are reassembling something consistent
(I personally would not trust any array involving sdd).
   Roberto Ragusa    mail at robertoragusa.it