AGP?

Michael Hennebry hennebry at web.cs.ndsu.nodak.edu
Sat Dec 26 23:59:11 UTC 2009

I'm pretty sure I my video card is AGP.
When I zapped the old one, I had to look hard to find an AGP card.
The old one has "AGP1" printed on it.
As I have several windows open, my system (FC11) can't be too confused.
From
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Common_F11_bugs#Graphical_desktop_failing_to_start_or_crashing_with_AGP_NVIDIA_graphics_cards :
> Some NVIDIA onboard graphics chipsets use AGP, as well as expansion
> cards that fit in an AGP slot. To check whether your onboard chipset is
> an AGP one, run this command:
>
> grep -i agp /var/log/Xorg.0.log
>
> if it returns anything, your chip is an AGP one. If not, it isn't.

grep -i agp /var/log/Xorg.0.log
does not return anything.
lspci -nn | grep orce
returns
> 01:00.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: nVidia Corporation NV34 [GeForce FX 5200LE] [10de:0323] (rev a1)
               ^^^^ PCI ID?

What is going on?

In case it helps, my xorg.conf:
> # Xorg configuration created by livna-config-display
>
> Section "Files"
>         ModulePath   "/usr/lib/xorg/modules"
> EndSection
>
> Section "ServerFlags"
>         Option      "AIGLX" "on"
> EndSection
>
> Section "Device"
>         Identifier  "Videocard0"
>         Driver      "vesa"
> EndSection
>
> Section "Extensions"
>         Option      "Composite" "Enable"
> EndSection

http://www.nvidia.com/object/IO_18897.html lists GeForce FX 5200LE 0x0323
as "legacy".
Does that mean I shouldn't even try for 3D acceleration?

"Pessimist: The glass is half empty.
Optimist:   The glass is half full.