Flash drive name change -

Bob Goodwin bobgoodwin at wildblue.net
Sun Dec 27 13:30:59 UTC 2009

On 26/12/09 20:33, g wrote:
> Bob Goodwin wrote:
>
>> I have not been able to change it no matter what I tried. And gparted tells me I've messed something up with it! After messing with gparted for a bit it tells me Partition and File System are "unallocated" whatever that means, but it sounds bad!
>>
> you no longer have a file system?
>

>> None of this is a serious problem, I guess I can reformat it ext2 and might eventually do that anyway. Just thought I should be able to do anything she can do with the Mac.
>>
> if you want ext2, would be best bet.
>
> if you want to stay fat, use "mkdosfs -n".
>
> my apoligies for leading you into problems with "dosfslabel". but from a
> brighter side, you are gaining experience and will know how to handle next
> time you get memory stixs.
>

> hth.

mkfs.msdos -n fd3 /dev/sdc1 seems to have done it!

    [root at box6 media]# mkfs.msdos -n fd3 /dev/sdc1

        mkfs.msdos 3.0.1 (23 Nov 2008)
        [bobg at box6 ~]$ mount
        ...........  %<  .................

        /dev/sdc1 on /media/fd3 type vfat
        (rw,nosuid,nodev,uhelper=hal,uid=500,shortname=winnt,utf8)

Before doing that it would no longer mount, once I ran mkfs it mounted
when plugged in. Fdisk said it was still formatted FAT32 so I haven't
changed that yet.  I guess the next thing will be to make certain I can
still write to it as it is.

    Disk /dev/sdc: 4009 MB, 4009754624 bytes
    145 heads, 48 sectors/track, 1125 cylinders
    Units = cylinders of 6960 * 512 = 3563520 bytes
    Disk identifier: 0xc3072e18

    /dev/sdc1   *           1        1126     3915752    c  W95 FAT32 (LBA)

As for "leading me into problems," not to worry, I am quite able to find
them without your help! And as you say it's been an interesting exercise.

Thanks for the help.

Bob