Compiz -- Discussion

Greg Woods woods at ucar.edu
Sun Dec 27 16:50:48 UTC 2009

On Sat, 2009-12-26 at 17:46 -0500, Tom Horsley wrote:
> On Sat, 26 Dec 2009 11:14:29 -0800
> Suvayu Ali wrote:
>
> > If it were _just eye-candy_, so many developers wouldn't have spent so
> > much of their time on the project.
>
> I've never noticed any correlation between the value of a
> project and the amount of developers piling on.

It's also not always obvious what the final value of a project is going
to be. Linux itself was just a grad student's toy that Linus did because
it was cool (started as a terminal emulator) and was only useful to
other geeks, only worked on very specific hardware, etc. Nobody (least
of all Linus) ever foresaw World Domination :-)

--Greg