GRUB2?

Tom H tomh0665 at gmail.com
Tue Dec 29 18:56:00 UTC 2009

>> If I understand it correctly,
>> with grub2, you have to run a command after editing
>> the configuration file to properly create another
>> configuration file.
>
> I'm pretty sure that is due to ubuntu's implementation,
> not necessarily due to grub2 itself, but having had to
> fool with ubuntu systems at work, I can say it is a
> pain to have to remember to edit completely different
> files and run extra silly tools. (The first thing I
> wanted to do on an ubuntu virtual machine was the
> equivalent of setting runlevel to 3 instead of 5. That
> first required a snipe hunt through the undocumented
> "upstart" nonsense to discover that the only way to
> do it is to add the "text" kernel boot option, which
> then led to a new snipe hunt through the undocumented
> grub2 implementation on ubuntu.

Debian, Fedora, and Ubuntu have implemented grub2 in the same way -
which must have come from the upstream devs. grub.cfg is built using
"grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg" (D+U) / "grub2-mkconfig -o
/boot/grub2/grub.cfg" (F). D+U provide an alias, "update-grub" (which,
itself, has an alias, "update-grub2") - a command that was also used
to update grub1's menu.lst on Debian and Ubuntu.

PS: Thanks for the "text" hint/trick. I will have to try it out. On
non-server Ubuntu installs, I usually create a level 3 boot with gdm
disabled.

PPS: Fedora uses upstart too!