Installation plays hardball

Mike Chambers mike at miketc.net
Thu Dec 31 14:25:36 UTC 2009

On Thu, 2009-12-31 at 13:17 +0000, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:

> >     John> As I said, you need to choose to use a custom partition
> >     John> scheme, otherwise, Fedora will wipe every linux partition as
> >     John> happened to you. Granted, it's not obvious, but if you've
> >     John> been playing with linux for more than a couple
> >     John> distributions, I'd think you'd already have some notion of
> >     John> this by now.
> >
> > I've been using Fedora since its inception, and it wasn't obvious to
> > me at all. I didn't actually trip up over it, as I was treading very
> > carefully, but I must say I have plenty of sympathy for the OP.
>
> Agreed. The exact consequences of each choice need to be explained much
> more explicitly, including a specific warning of when the next step will
> be irreversible.

At the bottom of that window when you make your choice, there is a box
that says (paraphrasing) - Review modifications - that you can check to
make sure it's doing the right thing.  And if it's not, you can modify
what is going on and change it, or at least hit back button and choose a
different option. (this box won't appear if you customize obviously)

--
Mike Chambers
Madisonville, KY

"Best lil town on Earth!"