Firefox performance with flash

Chris Tyler chris at tylers.info
Tue Dec 1 06:47:24 UTC 2009

On Mon, 2009-11-30 at 22:07 -0800, Alejandro Rodriguez Luna wrote:
> Hi all!!
>
> I've installed flash plugin from Adobe
> ( flash-plugin-10.0.32.18-release.i386), everything work ok, i mean,
> in firefox without the plugin activated, when I surf in a page with
> flash, firefox become extremely slow, and sometime it froze.
>
> Any idea?

This is a long-standing problem with Flash. If it were open source and
ticked people off this much, it would get fixed.  >:-(  You could try
sending nasty notes to Adobe, but don't hold your breath.

Firefox 3.x on Windows actually contains code (written by one of my
students a couple years ago) to analyze how a plugin is loading the
system. There's an extension which exposes this information through a
user interface: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/7055 ...
Unfortunately it's hard to do this under Linux (and Mac) due to a
different execution path for plugins.

-Chris