To dd or to rsync, that's the question...

Tony Nelson tonynelson at georgeanelson.com
Tue Dec 1 18:44:44 UTC 2009

On 09-12-01 13:01:47, Dan Thurman wrote:

> Which is the preferred "backup" solution?
> I am trying to get data off of disk1 which is failing (via smartd)
> and wish to use the correct backup and restore method getting the
> data off of disk1 onto disk2 without "integrity loss", whatever that
> means.

You don't seem to be doing a backup, but rather making a copy of an
existing drive.  You should probably do that and then also make a
backup some other way.

To copy a disk, I always use dd and then expand the last partition as
needed (it's usually LVM2, so I then expand some of the LVs).  The disk
I usually do this to has WinXP (and Win98) as well as Linux /boot and
LVM2 partitions.

> In the case of dd, it falls flat, if there are sector errors and this
> would not work, as in my case - so backup programs that do byte copy
> would perhaps also fail.

ddrescue