yum-updatesd -- doesn't seem to do anything

Steven Stern subscribed-lists at sterndata.com
Tue Dec 1 21:02:19 UTC 2009

I've installed yum-updatesd on my server (run level 3) and nothing seems
to happen. It hasn't reported any updates for a long time, whether on
F11 or F12.  Yum update works, however.

The service is running:
root      1940  0.0  0.9  28820  9616 ?        SN   13:51   0:00
/usr/bin/python -tt /usr/sbin/yum-updatesd

The conf file is as follows. I've also tried to have it output to syslog.

[main]
# how often to check for new updates (in seconds)
run_interval = 14400
# how often to allow checking on request (in seconds)
updaterefresh = 600

# how to send notifications (valid: dbus, email, syslog)
emit_via = email
email_to = root at localhost
# should we listen via dbus to give out update information/check for
# new updates
dbus_listener = yes

# automatically install updates
do_update = no
# automatically download updates
do_download = no
# automatically download deps of updates
do_download_deps = no

--

  Steve