KVM reboot fails

Bill Davidsen davidsen at tmr.com
Wed Dec 2 13:54:57 UTC 2009

Seann Clark wrote:
> All,
>
>    I have been searching google for about two weeks, and looking over
> everything else and I just can't figure this out, so I am polling on the
> greater combined experience of the list to help me out with this.
>
>    I have recently set up a virtual machine under KVM, which runs fine
> on my system. The problem is, I can't reboot the system, nor can it
> reboot itself. The Guest is running Windows 2008 Standard, and instead
> of shutting down, or rebooting, after it is all done, it goes to a
> BSOD,  which only happens when it is trying to reboot. If I try to do
> this from virsh I get the error:
>
> libvir: error : this function is not supported by the hypervisor:
> virDomainReboot
>

> The host running the VM's is fedora 9 64 bit edition, that I haven't
> gotten around to upgrading yet (patch management is EOL, or very close
> to EOL, so upgrading is something I have been working on getting done)
> virsh is version 0.5.1 and qemu-kvm is version 0.9.1 (kvm-65).
>
> Outside of sucking it up and upgrading, which is what I figure would
> need to be done, I would like to try to understand why this is having a
> problem. If I can fix this, I can take my time and fix other issues that
> are preventing me from upgrading properly instead of being rushed.

You call this a KVM issue, but you mention libvir, indicating that you have the
libvirt stuff in play. If you can try running the image from the cli qemu-kvm,
you might find that it works. That's not a solution, but a data point for
another post.

It is possible to download newer KVM code and upgrade only that, I have an FC6
machine running a slightly more recent kernel I built from kernel.org code, with
the kvm in use at fc10 time. That's not necessarily easier than "sucking it up
and upgrading" particularly if you don't regularly build kernels. I have a
device needing a closed source driver not available for recent kernels.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen at tmr.com>