errors on trying to install latest nvidia driver with F12

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Wed Dec 2 17:25:56 UTC 2009

On Wed, 2009-12-02 at 16:47 +0000, N James Bridge wrote:
> On Wed, 2009-12-02 at 07:27 -0700, Craig White wrote:
> > On Wed, 2009-12-02 at 14:11 +0000, N James Bridge wrote:
> > > I am hoping someone may be able to throw some light on this.
> > >
> > > I had (and now have restored) F12 (x86_64) working with the nouveau
> > > driver. I have been watching for the nvidia drivers to make it into the
> > > RPMfusion repo and they have now done so  and last night I installed the
> > > 173 legacy driver (as required for my ancient graphics card!) Result -
> > > plymouth intro followed by black screen. I rebooted into level 3 and
> > > uninstalled the nvidia drivers and tried again - same result. Following
> > > advice I got here previously, I rebooted to level 3, deleted xorg.conf
> > > and then ran startx, which worked. However, on closing, I got a string
> > > of error messages and then on booting up, the black screen again.
> > >
> > > Finally, I repeated the above and from the gui (GNOME) made a new user.
> > > Since then things have worked normally. Why? It seems more like black
> > > magic than IT.
> > >
> > > I have attached the error log and the default xorg.conf file, for expert
> > > perusal. It doesn't mean a whole lot to me.
> > >
> > > thanks in advance for any comments
> > ----
> > the error log doesn't seem to track with the xorg.conf file you
> > enclosed.
> >
> > the xorg.conf called for 'nv' but the error log tried to use the
> > proprietary nvidia driver.
> >
> > What is it that you want to do and perhaps we can figure out the best
> > course of action
> >
> > Craig
> Ultimately, I want to get the nvidia driver installed, rather than
> nouveau. (I have a weakness for desktop effects!) I have had nvidia
> drivers working consistently up to F12, without fuss. Previously I
> installed fedora N (N=6-11) and then set up the repos, downloaded the
> nvidia drivers from RPMfusion or its predecessor and just installed
> them. No problems. Now it doesn't work.
>
> The xorg.conf file is what was generated automatically after I deleted
> the existing one and after uninstalling the nvidia driver (and its
> metapackage, so it is not being pulled back in). The error log generated
> was the same for 4 tries - I used diff to check them and they only
> differed in the times at which they were written. The first one was
> different; then I had the nvidia drivers installed, but the end result
> was the same.
>
> There have now been a couple of replies about nouveau grabbing the
> graphics card and ways of stopping this. Another method is described on
> this page: http://www.mjmwired.net/resources/mjm-fedora-nvidia.html. I
> had expected that installation from the rpm package would take care of
> the problem. It is a considerable hurdle for an average user.
----
I'm going to stay out of the political discussion and suggest that you
do the following...

- append 'nomodesetting' to your kernel boot...
ie, the lines in /boot/grub/grub.conf that go...

title           Fedora (2.6.31.5-127.fc12.i686)
root            (hd0,0)
kernel          /vmlinuz-2.6.31.5-127.fc12.i686 ro
root=UUID=7734afd9-2d2e-43fc-baa2-b8ea07cc98f7 rhgb quiet
SYSFONT=latarcyrheb-sun16 LANG=en_US.UTF-8 KEYTABLE=us nomodesetting
initrd          /initramfs-2.6.31.5-127.fc12.i686.img
savedefault
boot

(watch the line wraps...)

move your xorg.conf out of the way...

mv /etc/X11/xorg.conf /etc/X11/xorg.conf-disabled

install the nvidia packages per the instructions you were following and
then reboot

I would expect it to work

Craig

believed to be clean.