F12 Lost Gnome Panels

Paul W. Frields stickster at gmail.com
Thu Dec 3 20:43:47 UTC 2009

On Thu, Dec 03, 2009 at 08:04:55PM +0000, BeartoothHOS wrote:
> On Thu, 03 Dec 2009 11:52:26 -0800, Rick Stevens wrote:
>
> > On Thu, Dec 3, 2009 at 11:42 AM, Beartooth <beartooth at comcast.net>
> > wrote:
> >

> >>        I don't know what I did that made my panels go away -- but I
> >>        need
> >> them back.
> >>
> >>        All I see is the bare desktop, with launchers for Computer, my
> >> user's home, and the trash.
> >>
> >>        I need my left (originally top) and bottom panels. How do I get
> >> them back??
> >>

> > Try restarting gnome-panel (assuming it's Gnome you're using)
>
> 	That's what I want all right -- and I am running Gnome. But how
> do I do it? I can't even seem to get a CLI. Ssh into it from another
> machine?

Can you hit Ctrl+Alt+F2 (or F3, F4...) to get a terminal?  If so, you
can log in there, locally, to issue commands.  Some may not be as
effective without the X environment variables set -- but at worst, if
you had no work pending, you could kill the gnome-session and see if
your panels return.  (That's kind of an atomic bomb approach.)