Obtaining an RPM for the proper old atheros madwifi driver, not ath5k

John W. Linville linville at redhat.com
Fri Dec 4 18:44:39 UTC 2009

On Fri, Dec 04, 2009 at 04:17:18PM +0000, James Allsopp wrote:

> I'm running Fedora 12, and was wondering if anyone knew of a repository
> which contains one of hte old atheros drivers. I want to get rid of ath5k as
> it doesn't seem to have a good reputation, sounds very experimental still,
> and I can't make an access point with it without a hostapd0.6 rpm.

Did you actually try ath5k?  Is obtaining a later hostapd really a
bigger hardship than using an unmaintained, out-of-tree driver?

If you have specific problems with ath5k then please cite them.
Even better, open a bugzilla entry for them.  But please don't just
spread random FUD.

Madwifi is a dead project.  It does support a few oddball features
(many of them non-standard) that some people need, mostly due to
legacy use of Madwifi.  If you won't know what those are or why you
need them, then you almost certainly should be using ath5k.

John
--
John W. Linville		Linux should be at the core
linville at redhat.com			of your literate lifestyle.