su hangs for 30 seconds

Wolfgang S. Rupprecht wolfgang.rupprecht at gmail.com
Sun Dec 6 01:13:29 UTC 2009

Roberto Ragusa <mail at robertoragusa.it> writes:
> Joachim Backes wrote:

>>> I have the same problem for a couple of month (don't remember exactly
>>> how long it is) on my F11 (32 bit). I've asked it already on this list
>>> but had no response.
>> I had similar problems in the past (with sudo / not su), and the reason
>> was an error in the network controls (I tried to change the hostname by
>> editing /etc/sysconfig/network, but forgot all other places to edit).
> This kind of delays are often DNS timeouts.
> If the network configuration is wrong, trivial things like printing
> "last unsuccessfull login on 02-12-2009 from abcd.example.com"
> take 15-30-60 seconds.

Hmm.  No 6 hours after posting this, the problem cleared up.  I'm temped
to finger the selinux-targeted-policy that I installed from
updates-testing for clearing things up.  That was the only change in the
intervening time.

As to the DNS issue.  Bingo.  /etc/resolv.conf to be exact still had an
old IPv6 address in it.  Oops.  I thought that the resolver should
failover and stay locked to the best dns server fast than 30 seconds.  I
see I'm going to have to figure out why it took so long.  Thanks for
reminding me to double check.

     search wsrcc.com
     nameserver 2001:5a8:4:7d0::1
     nameserver 192.83.197.1
     nameserver ::1
     nameserver 127.0.0.1

-wolfgang
--
Wolfgang S. Rupprecht
If the airwaves belong to the public why does the public only get 3