can Fedora's QEMU run ppc guest in F12 x86_64 host?

Bill Davidsen davidsen at tmr.com
Sun Dec 6 01:27:14 UTC 2009

Andre Robatino wrote:
> I've tried to create a F12 ppc guest in a F12 x86_64 host, using F12's
> Virtual Machine Manager and with qemu-system-ppc installed.  It's
> reading a verified copy of Fedora-12-ppc-DVD.iso from the HDD.  It fails
> with
>
> CDROM boot failure code : 0004
> Boot failed: could not read the boot disk
>
> FATAL: No bootable device.
>
> (Screenshot attached.)  At least this is an improvement over F11 which
> would generate a kernel failure instead.  Is this supposed to work?  The
> page
>
> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/KVM_and_QEMU_merge
>
> claims that it is.

Were I you, I would take all the virtual "dumb it down" stuff out of the
picture, create a 6GB or so qcow2 device with qemu-img, then run the ppc from
the command line:
   qemu-system-ppc64 -, 1200 -hda mydisk.img -cdrom install.iso -boot d -net nic
look at the man page, those may not be exactly what you need for your system.

I have found that this works when more convenient tools don't, due either to
limitations in the tool or in the doc, or in my understanding.

If this works it will point to the need to understand the convient tool better.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen at tmr.com>