Getting rid of /boot

Wolfgang S. Rupprecht wolfgang.rupprecht at gmail.com
Sun Dec 6 02:26:16 UTC 2009

Timothy Murphy <gayleard at eircom.net> writes:
> Wolfgang S. Rupprecht wrote:
>> But the point is taken.  There seem to be quite a few posts from folks
>> that make their lives needlessly complex by mucking with the defaults
>> and that ends up breaking something downstream.
> Are you saying that something is "broken downstream" if you don't use LVM?
> With respect, that is nonsense.

I was just trying to say that the installation dialog makes it too easy
and therefore encourages people to change the defaults when in fact they
would be better off leaving things alone.

Sure you can run without lvm.  Sure you can put home on a different
partition.  Sure you can add other repositories during installation.
The problem with doing all that is it takes you off the well-trodden
path.  For one, the default install is going to be the best tested
configuration.  For another, many newbies are encouraged to muck with
the defaults without fully understanding the ramifications.

-wolfgang
--
Wolfgang S. Rupprecht
If the airwaves belong to the public why does the public only get 3