F12: Installing OpenMPI-devel doesn't put mpi* compiler in the PATH

Reuben D. Budiardja techlist at pathfinder.phys.utk.edu
Sun Dec 6 23:32:48 UTC 2009

Hello,
Does anyone know why installing openmpi and openmpi-devel does not put the
mpiCC, mpicc, and mpif90 compiler wrapper in the PATH ?
This is on F12.

On my previous F10, installing openmpi-devel sets the following symlinks, for
example:
/usr/bin/mpif90 -> /etc/alternatives/mpif90
/etc/alternatives/mpif90 -> /usr/bin/opal_wrapper-1.2.4-gcc-64
which resulted to have mpi* compiler wrappers to be in the path.

After some poking around, I found that in F12, these compiler wrappers are in
/usr/lib64/openmpi/bin, but they are not in the PATH. I wonder why this is the
case, and if it's intentional or a (minor) bug.

RDB
--
Reuben D. Budiardja
Dept. Physics and Astronomy