How do I disable coredumps on F12?

Andre Costa blueser at gmail.com
Tue Dec 8 23:44:17 UTC 2009

Hi,

apps crashes are generating coredumps on /var/cache/abrt/* ; since I won't
debug them myself and won't send them anywhere because they're too big, I
would like to turn them off. I tried uncommenting

#*               soft    core            0

on /etc/security/limits.conf but it did not work, coredumps were still being
generated. Then I tried to set

MaxCrashReportsSize = 0

directly on /etc/abrt/abrt.conf, restarted abrtd but it didn't work either
(oddly enough abrt-gui doesn't allow changing this setting, "ok" button is
disabled -- not even if I run it as root).

So, as a last resource I created a script on /etc/cron.daily to get rid of
the coredumps, but I'd rather not create them in the first place.

Anyone could give a hand?

Regards,

Andre