To hyper-thread or not to hyper-thread

jaivuk jaivuk at googlemail.com
Wed Dec 9 22:04:32 UTC 2009

Considering Intel's hyperthereading - it seems to be there are two teams and
two different opinions about hyperthreading:
It looks like team which designed P4 and I7 is saying - hyperthreading is
the best.
On the other hand team which designed Core Duo2 is saying - let's not waste
time with it...

I'm more sympathetic with latter so I'm looking forward for next generation
without hyperthreading ;)

On Mon, Dec 7, 2009 at 4:50 PM, Chris Adams <cmadams at hiwaay.net> wrote:

> I believe that the Linux kernel scheduler takes all of this into
> account.  You are better off enabling HT (and letting the kernel worry
> about taking advantage of it) than disabling it.

Can anybody point me to the source where can I find the details how is
kernel making the difference between hyper-thereading cores and real cores?

I also know it is possible to set affinity of the process for the specific
core but there does not seem to be any difference between hyperthreading
cores and real ones.

Thank you.