How to enable surround 5.1 output on laptop

Greg Woods woods at ucar.edu
Wed Dec 9 22:06:39 UTC 2009

On Wed, 2009-12-09 at 22:53 +0100, Major Péter wrote:

> On my winxp, I can do, that the left jack goes to the front speakers,
> the center jack goes to the center speaker, and the right jack goes to
> the rear speakers and everything works great.

This is a sound driver issue (ALSA).  I have found (because I was
actively looking) that very few sound cards that are currently sold new
actually have surround sound support in Linux. If there is no Linux
driver that supports it, you may be out of luck.

Go to:

http://www.alsa-project.org/main/index.php/Matrix:Main

to see if your sound card is supported. ("lspci" is your friend here for
figuring out what kind of card your laptop has).

--Greg