Booting sparkly new F12 install, error 13 from grub.

Tom H tomh0665 at gmail.com
Wed Dec 9 22:26:56 UTC 2009

>>Well, according to the files present on /dev/sdb1, grub is installed.  I
>>tried the chainloader+1, didn't work, now I'm about to reboot and try the
>> map syntax to swap the bios drive orders.

> And that didn't work either. :(

As I said in my earlier email, grub1 will not boot from an ext4 /boot.

> I see by the grub file on the F12-x64 dvd that it is still grub-0.97 so it
> isn't grub2, which I initially thought might be the problem.

grub2 is able to boot from an ext4 /boot but let's not go there.

> Is it safe to do a "grub-install /dev/sdb" from an F10 boot?

If /boot were ext3, you would have to do mount your F12 partitions
with (for example) a "root" partition of "/mnt" and then run
"grub-install --root-directory /mnt /dev/sdb" (or "... (hd1)")

Are you booting at the moment from /dev/sda or from a CD/DVD?