Using USB devices in VMs under KVM fc11 or fc12

Greg Woods woods at ucar.edu
Thu Dec 10 18:16:24 UTC 2009

On Thu, 2009-12-10 at 12:42 -0500, Bill Davidsen wrote:

>  Now I need to figure out how to do this for KVM.
> >
> This script may contain useful information

I think it does. This is the crucial part:

eth0IP=$(ifconfig eth0 | sed -n '/inet addr:/s/[^:]*:\([0-9.]*
\).*/\1/p')
    # add the bridge
    brctl addbr br0 &&
    ifconfig br0 \${eth0IP} &&
    brctl addif br0 eth0 &&
    {
      ifconfig eth0 0.0.0.0
      route add default gw \${FW1} dev br0
    }

This looks like the bridge device kind of "takes over" the IP address. I
plan to play with this a bit when I get some time. It would be nice to
be able to sync the Palm at work (where I use KVM for running XP) and
not have to boot my laptop into XP to do it. I could just about get rid
of the native XP boot altogether and do everything I need XP for in a VM
if I can make this work.

What confuses me is that on my Centos 5/Xen boxes, "eth0" has the
regular IP address, there is another pseudo-device called "peth0" which
is what is seen in virt-manager, and the bridge configuration appears to
be much more complicated. Part of the "brctl show" output:

xenbr0          8000.5272cafbe937       no              vif4.0
                                                        tap0
                                                        peth0
                                                        vif0.0

--Greg