funny gdm-restart script

Tom H tomh0665 at gmail.com
Sat Dec 12 13:12:26 UTC 2009

> Calling gdm-restart only reports:
>
>        Not supported
>
> What's not supported? The code for gdm-restart is a shell script and rather
> short:
> -------------------snip
> #!/bin/sh
>
> PIDFILE=/var/run/gdm.pid
> if test '!' -f $PIDFILE ; then
>        echo "$PIDFILE doesn't exist, perhaps GDM isn't running"
>        exit 1
> fi
> # exec the kill to get the correct return code
> echo "Not supported"
> -------------------snip
>
> So, instead of killing a running gdm, the script only echoes the text:
>
> Not supported
>
> Can anybody explain this? This happens in F12 (and F11 too)

It looks like the "/usr/sbin/gdm-restart" and
"/usr/sbin/gdm-safe-restart" are present for historical reasons (I
assume that they worked in previous F/FC versions - I have never used
either of them) and now simply print "Not supported" if gdm is
running.

"/usr/sbin/gdm-stop" will return you to the gdm login screen.

Out of curiosity, in the past, did "/usr/sbin/gdm-restart" restart gdm
without having to log back in?