Help: No internet connection

simon.schneebeli at okko.org simon.schneebeli at okko.org
Sun Dec 13 22:00:11 UTC 2009

Quoting Aaron Konstam <akonstam at sbcglobal.net>:

> On Sun, 2009-12-13 at 13:35 -0700, simon.schneebeli at okko.org wrote:
>> Hello all,
>>
>> My problem is definitively not linked to the fedora-webpage being
>> down. Meanwhile I made some progress:
>>
>> At my brothers place I managed to connect to the internet with no
>> problem. All programmes worked, so I could add all the additional
>> programs I needed and install the latest updates.
>>
>> Now, back home, my problem is the following:
>> - DOES NOT WORK: Firefox, Thunderbird, Evolution (error connecting to
>> the server)
>> - DOES WORK: Opera, Sype, Software update, Ping.
> It would be nice to have an expanded version of "DoES NOT WORK"
> What happens when you try Firrefox, for example?

Firefox: I immediately get the message "Server not found, Firefox
can't find the server at [webpage].

Thunderbird: "failed to connect to server [name of server]

Evolution: "Error while fetching mail".

RPM: "Couldn't resolve host"

To mention again: These messages appear immediately, not only after
some seconds like the server doesn't answer...

Simon