Help: No internet connection

simon.schneebeli at okko.org simon.schneebeli at okko.org
Sun Dec 13 23:20:46 UTC 2009

>> As mentioned in my first e-mail, Opera works fine (I use it to send these
>> e-mails) as does Skype.
>
> I don't think (but as I don't use it I'd welcome corrections) that
> Opera gets information about whether the connection is up from
> NetworkManager.
>
>> As for the differences between the network at home and at my brothers place:
>> It's another service provider, another modem, but I don't know any details.
>
> What kind of modem? DSL, Cable, 3G/HSPDA? How are you connected?
> Wireless, Wired etc.

Ok. I'll try to provide as much information as I can.
- Wired or wireless doesn't change anything. I have tried both.
- I'm using a DSL connection with a WPA2 encryption
- No proxi, DHCP

Mr. Willstrand asked me to do the following:

[simon at sangam ~]$ nslookup download.fedoraproject.org
Server:                192.168.1.1
Address:        192.168.1.1#53

Non-authoritative answer:
download.fedoraproject.org        canonical name = wildcard.fedoraproject.org.
Name:        wildcard.fedoraproject.org
Address: 66.35.62.166
Name:        wildcard.fedoraproject.org
Address: 80.239.156.215
Name:        wildcard.fedoraproject.org
Address: 152.46.7.222

And if I directly type "firefox 66.35.62.166", I get to
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/IndexAdmin without further problem. So
he means that this might be a problem with DNS...

Simon