networkmanager/knetworkmanager Fedora 12 no go

Marko Vojinovic vvmarko at gmail.com
Mon Dec 14 13:06:52 UTC 2009

On Monday 14 December 2009 11:34:56 n2xssvv.g02gfr12930 wrote:
> Well folks, I'm completely bewildered! I have the latest updated Fedora
> 12 on my laptop, but for the life of me I cannot get knetworkmanager to
> work.

AFAIK, knetworkmanager is not the default even in the KDE spin of F12. Don't
know why, but guess it is not stable enough yet. I suggest you use nm-applet
instead.

> All I get is a message saying the network is not managed. I can
> disable network manager, (stop the daemon), and use the laptop that way,
> but a working network manager would be preferable.

The NetworkManager service (the daemon) must be running in order for
knetworkmanager or nm-applet to work properly.

In system-config-network the "Controlled by NetworkManager" checkbox should be
selected for every device (eth0, wireless, whatever you have/want) that should
be managed by NM.

If you want all of your network devices to be controlled by NM, you should
make sure that the "network" service is not running:

service network stop
chkconfig network off

> Anyone out there with any ideas?

If you have checked and configured all of the above and it still doesn't work,
then you should start nm-applet from the terminal (as an ordinary user), try
to connect and watch for any error messages. Also look at /var/log/messages
for NetworkManager errors and information.

HTH, :-)
Marko