Errormessage - Dec 13 19:48:25 localhost kernel: hub 1-4:1.0: over-current change on port 2

Paolo Galtieri pgaltieri at gmail.com
Mon Dec 14 15:49:06 UTC 2009

On Mon, Dec 14, 2009 at 7:35 AM, Mikkel <mikkel at infinity-ltd.com> wrote:

> On 12/13/2009 08:53 PM, Paolo Galtieri wrote:
> > I'm getting lots of these messages in /var/log/messages
> >
> > Dec 13 19:48:25 localhost kernel: hub 1-4:1.0: over-current change on
> port 2
> >
> > They're coming out about one per second.  Anybody know what to do about
> it?
> >
> > port 2 is my Logitech web cam.  They keep coming even after I stop the
> > camera.
> >
> > It stops once I disconnect the hub.
> >

> > Paolo
> >
> Dumb question 1 - is it a self powered or bus powered hub? (Does it
> have its own power supply?)

It has its own power supply

> Dumb question 2 - do you get the messages if you plug the web cam in
> direct instead of using the hub?

The message does not show up if I plug the camera directly into the system.
However, do I get the following message:

Dec 14 08:46:42 localhost pulseaudio[2050]: alsa-mixer.c: Your kernel driver
is broken: it reports a volume range from 18.00 dB to 18.00 dB which makes
no sense.

I still get the message if I plug the hub back in, even though there is
nothing in port 2.

Paolo