F10 rpm of grub2 completely broken

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Mon Dec 14 20:23:36 UTC 2009

On Mon, 2009-12-14 at 15:04 -0500, Gene Heskett wrote:

> >> finally

> >> would

> >> pound sand.
> >>
> >> With all due respect, is that the best you have to offer? To
> >> bitch'n'moan
> >> and to demonstrate ignorance?
> >>
> >> http://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-list/2009-December/msg01145.html
> >
> >----
> >You are talking about someone who runs gui as root,
>
> Yup, its my machine & the constant denials of service as a user are a PIMA.
>
> >builds tarballs as root,
>
> That is the only way you can properly install amanda.  But in case you
> haven't noticed, amanda also will not build as root, only the install
> requires it.  This is something that an rpm _can't_ do correctly, at least
> the last time I checked.
>
> >builds kernels from kernel.org for no apparent reason,
>
> Only because it supports _my_ hardware better.  You have yet to ship a kernel
> that has the asus_atk0110 module in it to support a 3 year old asus
> motherboard.
>
> >uses samba
> >for networking Linux systems,
>
> It works, whats not to like>?  I have over the years asked several question
> about NFS, which I gather you all prefer, but I have yet to make it work well
> enough that the error messages actually make sense & I'd know what to fix
> next.  For everyone else it apparently Just Works & the errors I have posted
> are rare enough no help that actually fixes it has been proffered here.
>
> >complains that bugzilla is too difficult to bother with
>
> I have to sign up and get a new passwd every time I visit the place, and it
> bitches that I'm already a user, so it won't let me in with the password I
> wrote down from the last session months ago, and I'm fresh out of both
> patience with the pw expiry and the urge to even waste a quarter to call
> somebody.  If we have to jump through those hoops to file a bz, then at least
> have the common courtesy to expire the user as well as the passwd so that we
> can sign up a clean account again when we do try.
>
> >, cannot figure out how to build an rpm
>
> How about a rpmchkconfig to test the spec file and suggest changes that will
> make it build _on this system_.  The current documentation is excessively
> verbose without touching half the questions a newbie to it has.
>
> >and can not deal
> >with chainloading w/ grub.
>
> That I got figured out, what I was trying to chainload was an ext4, and old
> grub just throws up its hands.  Long since fixed I might add.
>
> >I believe you have captured his essence.
>
> And as is often the case Craig, the view down your nose is colored by the out
> of focus image in the bottom half of the view.
----
I think you have an excuse for everything you do but let me just say
FTR...

- amanda packager has no problems building amanda rpm's for Fedora

- don't know anything about your specific asus motherboard but
  my suspicion is that you don't know what you are talking about.

- every else deals with bugzilla password rules without bitching and
  moaning

- too much rpm documentation... that's too rich for words

This is a participatory system - you have the source code and you can
modify grub however you see fit. You can build openssl packages however
you see fit.

This is all about you.

Craig

believed to be clean.