pinfo grub issues? (was: Re: F10 rpm of grub2 completely broken)

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Tue Dec 15 14:57:29 UTC 2009

On Tuesday 15 December 2009, Michael Schwendt wrote:
>On Mon, 14 Dec 2009 17:21:31 -0500, Gene wrote:
>> >The "GRUB manual": info grub
>>
>> But a pinfo grub has a lot of blank entries.

I may have miss-typed, and meant a pinfo grub2 has lots of blank entries. But
there is not an info file with the grub2 install.  Except there is, but you
get it with a pinfo grub after having installed grub2.  The following entries
in that file (fedora F10 grub2 rpm installed) are link-less, empty:

* Configuration::               Writing your own configuration file
* Network::                     Downloading OS images from a network
* Preset Menu::                 Embedding a configuration file into GRUB
* Images::                      GRUB image files
* Troubleshooting::             Error messages produced by GRUB
* Invoking the grub shell::     How to use the grub shell
* Invoking grub-terminfo::      How to generate a terminfo command
* Internals::                   Hacking GRUB

attempting to read any of the above entries gets you a no such file or
directory advisory at the bottom of the window.  And I think you will have to
agree that is a lot of missing data.

Particularly when it doesn't Just Work.

>Why are you overly brief when you could be a bit more verbose? Which
>platform? Which terminal/console? Which package release of pinfo?

Whatever is installed on an otherwise up to date F10 install.
Whatever terminal is std in the F10 KDE4 install.
Platform is AMD phenom x4, ruunning 32 bit F10
Przemek's Info Viewer v0.6.9

>Compared with "info grub" (or other info readers you might find), does
>it look unusual/not normal or like some personal configuration problem
>(e.g. due to choice of terminal colours)? In case it looks like a bug,
>  http://bugz.fedoraproject.org/pinfo

No bug, other than the info file just doesn't have the info.

Thanks Michael.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)

All things that are, are with more spirit chased than enjoyed.
		-- Shakespeare, "Merchant of Venice"