3G dongles

Greg Woods woods at ucar.edu
Tue Dec 15 16:51:13 UTC 2009

On Tue, 2009-12-15 at 10:23 -0500, Paul W. Frields wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 15, 2009 at 10:20:56AM -0500, Paul W. Frields wrote:
> > On Tue, Dec 15, 2009 at 03:48:30PM +0100, Antonio M wrote:
> > > are these kinds of dongles working in F12???
> >
> > Yes, quite a large number of them in fact.  This was one of the major
> > feature points in the Fedora 12 release that went in quite early:
> >
> > http://blogs.gnome.org/dcbw/2009/07/10/unwire-with-networkmanager/
>
> Apologies, that was the wrong link.  Here's the correct one:
>
> http://blogs.gnome.org/dcbw/2009/06/22/mobile-broadband-assistant-makes-it-easy/

A word of caution. Granted my experience with this was back in F8, but
the one time I tried to use something like this was with Sprint. They
provided the driver, but I didn't find out until I signed up for their
"free" trial (that ended up costing me $36) and then got access to the
documentation that the Linux driver only works at 500MB/s. Full 3G speed
was only supported under Windoze. As always, the devil is in the
details.

I am happy to see that there are at least some 3G options that appear to
support full speed under Linux now.

--Greg